Week 2: Overview of Social Media


My belief is every social media excluding some websites have primarily been made for personal uses but most of them have evolved to be personal, businesses, and many more uses. They are designed to help accommodate the human species in a modern and technological world. There are endless social media platforms for personal and business use including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn,Tumbler, Pinterest, Behance, Etsy, etc. Tumbler and Pinterest seem to me like the most used for personal use. The majority of people on those forums are just posting all the things they like. I follow a lot of photographers and nerdy things on Tumbler and Pinterest and it is all just people posting what they like or want and is is rarely used to sell anything or even to promote any business. 

I feel Facebook is the most useful social media platform for businesses to promote themselves. As a photographer I feel Instagram is the best social media platform to use to promote my business. I think Facebook is the most popular and most geared to businesses because they have specific business accounts as well as personal accounts and I feel it is probably the most used world wide. You can set up multiple Facebook accounts for personal and business but I feel it has the best user friendly interface to transfer to a company website to purchase their products. I feel Instagram is the most used platforms of social media for photography and others artists businesses because it is a platform primarily of photos and short videos that I feel is the best free portfolio used in the world for many artists of different medias. Every professional photographer is on multiple platforms of social media but you can always find them on Instagram promoting their photography. 

I feel there are many useful social media platforms to use for personal only but almost all can be used to promote, boost or at least elevate your business. The difference between a personal and business social media platform is how easy it is to make money from it. Let's be honest, every one that starts a personal profile has intent to tell the world their actions and feelings but if you start a business account you intend on making money. Everything comes down to money when it comes to social media and business. As a photographer I am saving up to get a Smug Mug web sight so I will be able to sell my photography because as of now I have no professional printer and I can only give my clients flash drives or email small amounts of photos for one download at a time. If I want to be a serious photographer I need to spend the money to make money and after cameras and equipment I need to purchase a platform to promote and sell my photos.

Comments

  1. I also believe that Facebook is the most useful platform for businesses. I do also understand that different businesses should use different platforms for their business. For example, you stated that you're a photographer, so you would use Instagram more than Facebook since Instagram is more suited for pictures. I think we both have similar answers for the type of personal and business platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chad!

    I agree that Instagram is a useful social media platform for businesses. It is fairly simple, visually stimulating and easy to navigate. You can tailor Instagram to your own likes and interests the same way you can tailor Pinterest. It is sort of like flipping through a magazine that was made and printed specifically for you. I choose what companies advertise to me on these sites by who I choose to follow or who catches my eye, which is really interesting. I also agree that Facebook is easy to use for business . They have "Pages" that are easy to create and easy to run. they even have features that allow you to create and schedule posts in advance! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mentioned the same about needing to be on multiple platforms when you are using social media for business. It broadens your potential to reach people and make money. I also agree that Instagram is used by a lot of artists and photographers. My wife uses Instagram for her business and it brings her a lot of new customers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that Facebook is the easiest to use, and known most as business for social media. I also agree that Instagram is easiest for photographers to use, and businesses that can use pictures to increase business

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 11: Email Marketing - Part 1

Week 13: Part 2: Online Advertising: Analysis of the Marketplace

Week 17: Wrapping it Up